Frequently Asked Questions of Peer Advisors
Who is the Director for Cooperative Education?
Karl Hutchings, 435-652-7668
What is Cooperative Education?
Co-op Education is an educational concept that relates the classroom to the employment community. Students with a designated major, vocational, or career interest are assisted in locating employment that relates to their classroom studies. Students approved in employment are eligible for academic credit based upon the completion of structured learning objectives. For more information, go to http://new.dixie.edu/career/coop_education_and_internships.php.
What are the current testing center hours or where can they be found?
Go to the Testing Center.
What is the minimum GPA to graduate?
A student must attain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.00 for all registered work to be eligible to graduate from Dixie State University. For more information, go to http://www.dixie.edu/humanres/polstu.html.
How do I start the library class (LIB 1010)?
- Go to the DSU homepage and click on the Blackboard Vista link
- Login using your Dmail and password
- Click on the library 1010 link
- Click on the Syllabus link for Library information
- Additional questions can be answered by any of the librarians
- Library Hours
What do I do for the CIS 1200 class?
On the DSU home page, click the "Academics" link, then go to the "Computer Information Systems" link under Udvar-Hazy School of Business and attend one of the orientations provided the first week of the semester.
Who should students see for financial assistance? Specific names?
Financial Aid office
Phone: (435) 652-7575
Fax: (435) 656-4087
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org OR
- Roberta Cole (Loans/Work study) x7585; Sue Perschon (Scholarships) x7578
- For more information, go to Financial Aid.
- Phone: (435) 652-7575
What are the different tiers of academic discipline? Who helps me? How do I get off of Academic Warning?
Students must maintain a specific GPA of 2.0 or better to remain in good academic standards with the University. Students who fail to meet this standard are placed on low academic status.
Categories of Low Academic Status:
- 1. Warning – If a student’s GPA falls below 2.0, they will be placed on warning and must register through an advisor.
- 2. Conditional Enrollment – If a student is on warning and does not achieve either a current or cumulative GPA over 2.0, they will be placed on conditional enrollment and must register through the Director of Advisement with a contract.
- 3. Suspension – If a student does not earn a 2.0 in either their cumulative or current GPA the semester following being placed on conditional enrollment, or if they do not fulfill their conditional enrollment contract, they will be suspended. This means they will not be allowed to register for at least one regular (fall or spring) semester.
Explain the admission process?
For information on the admission process, go to Admissions.
How does a student drop a class after the date to drop has passed? What would be a good excuse for missing the deadline?
For information, go to How to Add / Drop Class.
PEER ADVISOR JOB APPLICATION LINK is as follows:
- Go to www.dixie.edu
- Click on “Faculty & Staff”
- Click on “Human Resources”
- Click on “Employment Openings”
- Application (pdf format)
- Fill out the application, print a copy of the application and bring it to the Academic Advisement Center in the Holland Centennial Commons building on the 1st floor along with a résumé OR e-mail the application and résumé to Dana Kelvington at email@example.com.