Frequently Asked Questions

DSU students are divided by two criteria; year of enrollment and current major. Students with 0-29 credits who haven’t declared a major will meet with a First-Year advisor in the Academic Advisement Center. Students with 30-59 credits who haven’t declared a major will meet with a Second-Year advisor at the Academic Advisement Center (AAC). Students that have declared a major will meet with the advisor assigned to their major. More information can be found here.

In short, YES! Your academic advisor is a source of extremely important information. Your advisor can help you with many various topics, including: Registering for courses, major exploration, study skills, degree planning, and troubleshooting issues you’ve had at the university. Advisement is generally vital in helping students graduate in a timely manner as well. The Academic Advisement Center is happy to assist you with these and other issues.

There are several ways to check your progress toward a degree, with the two most common being meeting with an academic advisor or checking your degree audit through degree works. First or second year students can schedule a meeting with their advisor by calling the Academic Advisement (AAC) center at 435-652-7690, or by using the instant message feature on the AAC website found here. Students with a declared major can contact their major advisor to check their degree progress.

Students can also log into Degree Works at Degree Works will show your progress toward your current major.

While there’s no official way to check grades during the semester, many professors will put in-progress grade information on Canvas. Midterm and final grades will be posted on your transcript and in the midterm and final grades links on your student account.

Use the resources that are available to you! The tutoring center, writing center, and your academic advisor are great resources to help you get caught up.

You can find more information on all the DSU majors here.

Your major is the main field of study that you’ll specialize in during your time at DSU. Your major is also generally aligned with your chosen career field. A minor is an additional course of study that generally goes along with your major. Many students will pick a minor because of personal interest or additional resume experience it will give them.

Each degree program will include the DSU General Education requirements, as well as your major requirements. Your advisor can help you plan your time at DSU to make sure that you’ll finish your degree in the most effective way.

You can find out what books you need by going to the bookstore’s textbook search site. You’ll have to know what semester your classes are in (Fall 20XX), what department your classes are taught in (ENGL), and the course name, number, and section number (Engl 1010, 01).

Many of our students find that they can work a part-time job (15 hours per week or less) and go to school full-time. This may not hold true for all students because of the time commitment required from a full-time course load. A full-time course load should take 12 hours per week in the classroom, with approximately 24-36 hours of homework, study, project and test preparation time per week.

Many students find that they can work around 15-20 hours per week.

There are many jobs that are great for college students, but you should be looking for something that will be flexible with your school schedule and will have set amount of hours per week. DSU’s student job board has jobs from employers that want to hire students and understand their school commitments.

Most of the available on-campus jobs are listed on the DSU student job board, so go there to see about some great jobs!

Canvas is a system where professors can upload course content, syllabus information, a calendar for the course, and other vital information. Your professor can also put grade information and communicate with you through Canvas.

FERPA stands for Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. FERPA is a federal law that prohibits DSU from releasing your personal information, grades and schedule to anyone. You can fill out an information release form to allow a third party to access this information and act on your behalf.

The short answer is as soon as possible. The DRC needs time to verify your documentation and prepare accommodations for you.

On-campus housing is owned and managed by DSU, and follows all DSU policies. Off-campus housing, while possibly close to campus, is owned and operated by a third party. Some on-campus housing, such as Nisson Towers and Shiloh Hall, will require you to purchase a meal plan from campus dining services. Amenities and prices will vary, so be sure to research your options.

Depending on where you live, you should expect to pay anywhere from $1150 to $2000+ per semester. Some options may require a meal plan.

Information on AP credit can be found here. The registrar’s office has a posting fee of $25 per AP test for AP credit.

All you need to do is have an official transcript sent to DSU from the institution that granted the concurrent enrollment credit.

You can pay your tuition through your myDixie account. The steps are as follows:

  • Click the “student records” link
  • Click “make payment & Account Summary”
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “make online payment”
  • Select the appropriate term
  • Input your payment amount
  • You’ll then be directed to the payment area

You can find specific dates for each semester here.

You can sign up for the tuition payment plan here.

You can buy a parking permit from the Cashier’s Office. If you’ve got a car, you’ll probably want one.

Your student email account will be the primary source of communication from the university, so it’s wise to check your email frequently. You’ll receive updates on activities, parking lot closures, emergencies, deadlines, and other important notices in your student email account. You’ll also receive notifications for the electronic waiting list if you’re registered on a waiting list for a course. It’s important, so check it often!

You can check out a step-by-step guide on forwarding your dmail to your personal account here. If you run into problems, you can contact the DSU help desk at (435) 879-4357 or through email at:

Please include your full name, student ID number, and phone number when contacting the Helpdesk.